Thursday, September 20, 2018

September 23, 1972


Mother called from the gate, "Ditong, please come over.  Your classmate is here.  Hurry up."

He was not really a classmate.  I believe he was 2 batches ahead of me.  We call him fondly as "Ka Putol."  I met him in the AS Lobby one day and perhaps he took notice of my worn down rubber sandals and tattered, faded denim (not Levis) and camisa-chino.

He asked if I belong to any group.  I told him I was a freshman so he asked me to go with him to Vinzons Hall.  There I met other freshmen.  We were made to sign some papers - application papers, take note.

It was a Saturday morning when he came over, looking flustered and in a hurry.  He spoke in hush tone - "There's a news that some 43 students were arrested and soldiers are now in Vinzons searching documents."  Then I remembered the application form.

"You come with me..." But, mother upon hearing that said a firm "No!"

"Besides, you have not had your breakfast yet and your father needs you to help him feed the chicken.  No."

Ka Putol sensing the agitation, apologized and told mother that I can stay.  He told me to take care.  And I bid him, "Ingat."  That was the last time I would see him.

My mother was wondering why the radio wasn't working, when the battery was just replaced 2 nights ago.  A neighbor came by and told us the same thing about their television.

Then later that day, we made sense of what was going on.  Martial Law declaration was announced.




No comments:

Post a Comment